Making of a successful complete denture has always been a very challenging task. In spite of the best effort on the part of Dentist, most of the patients are unhappy because of lack of retention , stability and support. Patients frequently complains of denture ulceration because of movement of Dentures during function. Difficult Phonetics and compromised aesthetics are other complaints. One of the options to treat such patients is implant supported fixed restoration. But this option is not always possible because of high cost or lack of adequate bone height and width in resorbed ridges. Implant overdentures are the treatment of choice for such cases. Some of the advantages of overdentures are
- Minimal bone resorption of residual ridge
- Under a normal denture average bone resorption is 4mm per year compared to 1mm under an overdenture.
- An overdenture provide greater support of the lip and soft tissue of the face then a fixed prosthesis
- Denture teeth are more esthetic then PFM
- Less lateral movement as compared to a normal denture which move about 10 mm during function.
- Chewing efficiency improve by 20 % and maximum occlusal load by 300%.
- Less soft tissue coverage is needed.
- Hygiene conditions and home maintenance is improved with an overdenture compared to a fixed prosthesis
- Prosthesis is easier to repair than a fixed prosthesis.
- Reduced cost to the patient.
- Hemimandibulectomy and maxillectomy patients can be rehabilitated using implant overdenture.
- Overdenture may be removed at bedtime to reduce the effect of nocturnal parafunction.
- Tongue and perioral musculature may resume a more natural position as they are no longer required to limit denture movement.
Indications for Implant Overdentures
- Severely resorbed ridges
- Anatomically Deficient ridges due to previous disease or trauma
- Patients unable to tolerate maxillary denture due to gag reflex
- Patient’s demand for more retention stability and support for lower prosthesis
Overdentures at Aggarwal Dental Clinic are made using MIB Implants from Anthogyr a french company . For more details visit www.anthogyr.com
Complete Overdenture using MIB implants
Case History : This 70 Yr old male was always unhappy with his full Denture because of instability and full palate coverage required by conventional Dentures. 3 MIB implants in the lower jaw amd 4 in the upper one solved all his problems. Not only upper denture was made palate free , both the dentures now does not move during mastication or speech.
Partial Overdenture Using MIB implants
Case History : This 20 year old Taxi driver lost all his teeth in the upper jaw because of Osteomyeitis. Dental Rehabilitation was difficult because of lack of bone except in the canine region where two MIB implants were inserted and Removable partial Denture made. This denture is in service since September 2003
Mandibular Overdenture with MIB implants
Case History : This 85 yr male has a grossly resorbed lower ribge with no bone support for lower denture. 4 MIB implants were inserted and lower denture stabilized. He is a social worker and has to speak in gatherings. Now he is confident because his lower denture does not move any more.